Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 9, 11:00pm

Mom did not believe in coincidences.  She believed in a higher power, an Almightly, loving Father in Heaven who watches over His beloved children.  Her faith in Him was strong like iron.  Her life and death were a testament of that faith.

At 4:00pm on March 9, Mom got her meds that would put her to sleep.  A few minutes before that she said goodbye to her dear friend Diane who had flown out for the day.  We had asked her if she was ready for the journey she was about to take.  She said yes.  Stephen and Grayson arrived as Diane was leaving.  We all settled in to let mom get some sleep.  I started to update the blog....

Suddenly Mom started coughing.  This was fairly normal and I prepared to help her.  And then things weren't normal.  She wasn't strong enough to get it all out and then her breathing changed.  I called the nurse.  They rushed in, sat her up, and checked her mouth.  After some observation they concluded that she had aspirated.  They told me to call my siblings- very suddenly it was time.

We were all there within an hour, including Shane, Angela's husband, and Curtis' girlfriend Angila.  We held her hands as we said our goodbyes, and expressed our love and appreciation to her.  We called family and allowed them the chance to do the same by phone.  Shane and Brandon gave her a priesthood blessing of comfort.  After almost 7 hours her breathing slowed down and we said our goodbyes once again.  And then she was gone, finally at peace, home with her earthly and Heavenly Parents.

I don't know how I would survive this without the knowledge of the Plan of Happiness- of a life after this one where our work continues; of a Savior who loves us and died for us that we might be together some day.  Amid the pain last night I felt His comfort fill me, let me know that His hand was in control.  I was supposed to be on a plane right now- but the Lord knew I needed to be there- knew that Mom needed all her children there to send her to the next life.  I will forever be grateful for the blessing of His timing- and even more grateful that I had the honor of being "Susie's daughter."

3 comments:

  1. So very sorry for your loss Shawna. Praying for comfort for your family through the days and years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your mom. She had such a strong testimony of the gospel and the plan. She loved her children. My our Heavenly Father bless your family with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your Mom's last few moments of mortality. Reading this brought each of us right back to the moments we spent with her, where ever we were. Even tho the years have grown since we were together, whenever we talked, we were right back there just as if no time has past away. We share tears of joy, because we were all better for knowing & sharing moments on this journey together. We also shed tears for the void in our hearts momentarily & smile fir the knowledge that we will all be together again, forever. This life is but a journey, not a race & we all must enjoy each & every moment we have together.

    ReplyDelete