Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 7

No big changes today.  Mom was alert this morning, but then slept most of the afternoon.  She ate some vanilla pudding for breakfast (a few bites), and askedfor a jamba juice at lunch.  She had some pain, some nausea, but it seemed to get under control with the meds.  They added benedryl to her cocktail, which knocks her out pretty good, but has made her more comfortable.  As of now it does not look like she will be leaving us in the immediate future.  We are guessing next week sometime, as long as nothing drastically changes.  Longer if she decides she is not ready to go....

Today was an emotional day, at least for me.  Last night my huband and I decided it was time to let our 8 year old know what was happening, and she cried for an hour.  So we came up with a plan to get her a chance to talk to Gramma.  She wrote a list of all the things she wanted to ask or talk about with Gramma.  Then she fasted in the morning (went without food or water while praying for a special blessing) and asked Heavenly Father to allow Gramma to be well enough to talk with her.  So when we had a quiet moment I asked Mom if we could call, and I explained what Grace had done to prepare.  I explained to Grace that she needed to speak clearly and slowly, and allow Gramma a little extra time to answer.  I didn't need to.  Mom carried on the first full conversation I have heard her have since I got here.  She answered Grace's questions with relative ease, gave her guidance for the future, shared her favorite memories as a gramma, and complimented her testimony.  She expressed her love to her, and promised to watch over her from the other side.  And then she went on to talk to two of the other girls and expresd her love for them as well.  I couldn't hold back my tears as my heart filled with the knowledge of this small miracle that I will never forget, and that I hope my daughter does not forget as well.  The Lord does not leave us comfortless, even in such a sad time as this.  I'm grateful for my mother who taught me that lesson, and many others over the years.

5 comments:

  1. Shawna,

    Know that I am praying for you all and this post made me tear up. Your mom and family mean so much to me and I learned a ton from mom about who I wanted to be as an adult. Tell Ang, Curt, Steven, and everyone that I am praying for more small and one or two huge miracles. I wish I could be there to tell your mom how much she influenced my life and helped make me who I am today. I love you all and know that God gave you those beautiful girls to help you deal with this time, knowing that you are to them what your mom is to you.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, as hard as it is to watch someone you love go through all of this, I know Heaven is so near. I know that God allows lots of little miracles to help sustain us through the process. The veil is so thin! Love you Shawna, you are in my thoughts and prayers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandparents can & will rise to any occasion for their Grand's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawna, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us, because as you know there are so many of who love your mother too.

    She has been like my own sister since the day she came to Putnam and joined our ward. We've laughed hysterically together, cried together, comforted each other when things seemed to hard to endure, shared our joys, prayed together, cleaned house together, cooked meals together, served together, and spent many evenings hanging out in her van with a soda, hamburger, and fries just loving being in each other's company. I can barely think of life in mortality without her.

    I wish I could have been there to let her know, again, how much I love her, but I'm certain she knows. I know you all appreciate what a wonderful mother you have, but time will only increase that love and appreciation. She has five wonderful children who will always call her Blessed. Her testimony is rich and strong, and it's the greatest legacy she posesses, of all the wonderful legacies, which she leaves you. I am so proud of her strengths, so grateful to have her in my life, and so enriched by her friendship. Thank you all for sharing her with me over the years.

    And I just want to add, that to all of the Jemison children, who were nurtured under Susie's care, my love goes out to you as well. Susie loved and appreciated who you were. There were challenges, but she worked hard to make your lives clean, comfortable, well fed, happy, and successful. She wept over your struggles, and prayed for you all fervently. She employed the best of parenting to make your lives better than they were. I know. I was there. And in spite of how hard it was, she always took the responsibility as your step-mother to be Christ-like and do the right thing by each of you.

    You will recognize Susie's influence in your lives when there are cross-roads and difficult decisions to make. Her example will guide you. You will see her influence slip into your daily lives when you make a meal that she made for you, or clean the way she taught you. And like her own children, the day will come when you shall call her Blessed also.

    Much love
    Chris (Lorenzen Buelow)

    ReplyDelete