Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 6

I apologize for not posting last night.  We went directly to the hospice center and stayed there till after 9:00, at which point I was exhasted and collapsed into bed.  But here are my thoughts about what I saw.

Mom is small- skinny all over- except her abdomen, which is distended as if she were 6 or 7 months pregnant.  Her eyes are often half closed or fully closec- hardly ever fully open.  Her skin is cool, though she says she is not cold.  Her breathing is shallow and hitched sometimes.  And she is tired, all the time.

The doctor was in this morning.  While the infection at the drain site is better, the drain still isn't working and there is no way to fix it.  He suspects that her guts (his term, not mine) have shut down, unable to take the strain .  As time goes on, other organs will start to do the same.  As the pain and nausea increase, they will increase her meds which will sedate her more.  He suspects that she only has days, though he can't put a number on them.  He's trying to allow her to be aware as long as possible, but eventually the pain will be too much, and sleep will be the kind thing.  He also doesn't think that she'll be able to go home, since her symptoms are not easy to manage.

 Mom seemed to understand his conclusions and accept them.  Three of us werethere to hear, so we probably caught it all.  We think that all 5 of us will be there this afternoon, and we hope that she will enjoy that.

We continue to head to her your messages and she smiles or laughs at them.  I think she feels the outpouring of love- I know that we do.


3 comments:

  1. Susie I love you life is certainly not fair at times you are a strong and brave woman. I'm so glad that I met you while working at Dr. Tuckett's dental office. We had some fun times working together you always had a smile even through difficult times in your life. I pray that you have peace and that the pain will soon be gone. Farewell my dear friend maybe our Paths will cross again in a different life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie-
    My dear sweet friend with the wonderful smile. You always brighten everyone around you with your hugs and smile. I cherish the time I had as your vising teacher. You taught me as much as I taught you! I pray that Heavenly Father will comfort you and give you peace in this time of your life. I also pray that your family & grandchildren will be given peace and comfort during this time.
    With all my Love,
    Becky Randall

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share with your family a story about your sweet Mom. We lived in the same ward in Queen Creek and I had the privilege of being her hairdresser and subsequently she became a dear friend. When they first discovered she had cancer she came to me after the chemo had made most of her hair fall out. I cut and styled her wig and shaved off what little hair was left. My children had grown to recognize Susie. As I was shaving her head my 5 year old daughter walked into the room. In great horror she exclaimed, "Mom! What are you doing to my Susie?!"
    We laughed and we laughed. To this day we still laugh when that story is told! And I might add that Susie laughed the loudest! What a great sense of humor even in the midst of a trial.
    Susie and I also went through hard trials at the same time that were similar in nature. Her wisdom and guidance helped me through a crisis situation that I know I would not have handled properly without her.
    Susie I have never forgotten your friendship and your kindness to me in my great time of need. I will always love you!
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete